PDA

View Full Version : health and efficiency

born to quibble
2004-09-25, 11:21
After several years of experiment I have settled on this hygeine/entertainment option for the daily bears/wood scenario. It's a refinement of the old Hamish Brown disappearing paperback system first described by him on his epic trek. Brown of course had a carefully planned system of resupply and cached drop-offs, allowing him to work his way through the novels of Tolstoy. Many others, however (bitter, divorced loners for example) may not be able to organize such logistics and this is where my system has real advantages in terms of weight saving. I'm talking about the philosophical works of Immanuel Kant. Take "Critique of Pure Reason", for example - 481 pages, 8 ozs.... I think it was some Kraut who said "Kant is best first read upon the third attempt" and he was reading it in German for chrissake... Add an extra two for the (translation?) and thats fifty solid pages of nightly in-tent entertainment for the weight of ten sheets of paper! And of course that weight is decreasing the longer you go. I use a three inch medium rubber band (8/60 oz.) to secure unread pages after tearing out the rest for their dual use. These I keep in a mini bulldog clip (9/78 oz., and red in color, obviously). I even get to save some of the less well used ones folded over in a ziplock for my sierra stove. Alternatively you could bring along the 2 inch perspex box the bulldogs came in, catch 2 different bugs and call it lo-fi WWF. For that system you'd need to wipe your a** with a rabbit (I'll be happy to explain that joke for a fee).

bird dog
2004-09-25, 19:41
the rabbit joke sounds good. Whats the fee?

born to quibble
2004-09-26, 05:53
Bird Dog,
Well, seeing as I don't like working on the Lord's Day and all - there's this bear sittin' in the woods with his buddy the rabbit and he says "Mind if I ask you a personal question?" The rabbit says go ahead. The bear says "Do you ever get a problem when you've kinda, gotta go.... and the... you know... it sticks to your fur?" Rabbit thinks for a bit and says "Nope". So the bear grabs the rabbit by the neck.......

SGT Rock
2004-09-26, 08:37
I can't belive you never heard the rabbit and the bear joke, that is one of the oldest outdoor jokes I ever heard.

born to quibble
2004-09-26, 11:21
Sgt. Rock,
To tell you the truth I was a bit surprised myself. Bet you didn't know that the Brit Royal Family used to use pieces of swan's neck though (sorry, I'm having a "Michael Caine" moment).

bird dog
2004-09-26, 20:00
B2Q and Top,
I told you I've been out of the backpacking business for a while (obviously longer than I thought)! Thanks for the "free advice" B2Q. You should think about taking your act on the road. I think it would be worth your time!

MinnesotaSmith
2004-11-24, 13:44
It's as worthless and as free of true or useful content as radical lesbian feminist BS. (Typical example of the latter: http://www.ai.mit.edu/~shivers/rants/scum.html )

Any of the following would be MUCH better uses of your time available for reading, I'd say:

Anything by Ayn Rand, especially "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged" (I reread them approximately annually)

Anything pre-1960 by Robert Heinlein (his wife wrote his later stuff)

Anything by David Drake or Jerry Pournelle

Anything by Robert Ringer

Anything by Claire Wolfe

Anything by Boston T. Party

"Strategic Relocation" by Joel Skousen

"Civil War Two" by Thomas Chittum

"Death of the West" by P. Buchanan

"Gray Dawn" by Peter Peterson

"The Clash of Civilizations" by Samuel Huntingdon

"What Men Know That Women Don't" by Rich Zubaty

"What Our Mothers Didn't Tell Us" by Danielle Crittenden

"The Fourth Turning" by Strauss and Howe (website: www.fourthturning.com )

"Carnage and Culture" by Victor Hanson

"Man and Society in Calamity" by P.A. Sorokin

"The Oil Age Is Over" by Matt Savinar

The "Lord of the Rings" trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien

"The Real Environmental Crisis" by Jack M. Hollander

"The Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan

"Slouching Toward Gomorrah" by Robert Bork

"The Worm in the Apple" by Peter Brimelow

"The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America" by Charlotte Iserbyt

"Life After Doomsday" by Bruce Clayton

"The Demon in the Freezer" by Richard Preston
====================================