PDA

View Full Version : Algonquin Provincial Park

Mutinousdoug
2004-10-01, 15:38
I'm finally back to report on my 3 day hike in the eastern Algonquin Park. Not much of a wilderness adventure for my 1400 mile trip, but a nicely run park and great scenery with the trees changing color and the "High Falls" I hiked to. I was going to report that the trails were well marked to say the least, until I got lost on the way out and hiked 9.5 miles instead of the more direct 4 miles it would have taken if I had taken the time to unpack my compass and map and READ the SIGN directing me to Ackray. The Hennessy worked well although was largely untested for Fall camping as the temperatures never got below about 55 F. Too hot to get in the sleeping bag but too cold to do without.
Alcohol stove worked as expected but I noted that the flame is difficult to see in daylight and I had to fool around to make sure it had lit.
Didn't see any big game but walked past two piles of Bear dung still steaming. Could have been Wolf droppings, I suppose, I'm not familiar with what that might look like, but the locals suggested wolves were as common as bear. I didn't see any tracks and bear tracks can be very subtle where I expect wolf tracks to look like large dog tracks. All the same, it was very dry so not much for making tracks of any kind.
I wonder if Hotelseven is back from his trip up there?

hotelseven
2004-10-01, 16:18
Hey there! I am indeed back from my trip. It is a beautiful part of the park eh? I couldn't believe the weather. Not a drop of rain, and very warm (too warm imho for fall tripping!). We splashed around in the high falls area for a couple of days....What a fun spot.

Here's a couple pics from our trip!:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~park.pictures.4/slides/Body%20Sliding%20at%20High%20Falls.JPG

http://home.cogeco.ca/~park.pictures.4/slides/Portage%20Into%20High%20Falls.JPG

http://home.cogeco.ca/~park.pictures.4/slides/Waterfall%20at%20High%20Falls.JPG

http://home.cogeco.ca/~park.pictures.4/slides/Dad%20on%20the%20Barron%20Canyon%20Trail.JPG

http://home.cogeco.ca/~park.pictures.4/slides/The%20Grotto%20at%20High%20Falls.JPG

http://home.cogeco.ca/~park.pictures.4/slides/More%20Falls%20Near%20High%20Falls.JPG

It was a great place to canoe and set up a base camp....Lots of stuff to do (access to backpacking trails, hiking trails, abandoned railway for hiking, fishing, swimming, etc).

I was totally suprised at the lack of visible wildlife. Having tripped up there for many years we almost always see moose, bear, wolf or something. We saw lots of tracks and scat but no animals! Oh well....

Anyways, glad to hear you made it back safely!

Mutinousdoug
2004-10-01, 18:37
Great pictures. Mom had dibs on the digital in Toronto since the new grandbaby was going to be near, so my film is still in my camera. I assume you canoed the Barron canyon and that's what I'm looking at in your pics? Nice.
Wish I could have spent a few more days up there.

CanoeBlue
2004-10-01, 23:33
Great Pics. thanks for posting them

SGT Rock
2004-10-02, 07:25
outstanding

bird dog
2004-10-06, 02:57
H7,
Great Pic's! Hopefully next month I'll be able to post some of Linville Gorge, NC!

BD

Sgt.Krohn
2004-10-06, 12:19
outstanding photos

Verlager
2004-10-09, 23:21
Didn't see any big game but walked past two piles of Bear dung still steaming. Could have been Wolf droppings, I suppose, I'm not familiar with what that might look like, but the locals suggested wolves were as common as bear. I didn't see any tracks and bear tracks can be very subtle where I expect wolf tracks to look like large dog tracks.
Bear dropping are larger than wolf droppings, and taste like goat droppings. I suppose this is because wolves are carnivores and bears are herbivores. Wolf dung tastes exactly like dogshit, actually; not sure why.

drlance
2004-10-10, 05:12
Bear dropping are larger than wolf droppings, and taste like goat droppings. I suppose this is because wolves are carnivores and bears are herbivores. Wolf dung tastes exactly like dogshit, actually; not sure why.

Now that's comedy.

Lanthar
2004-10-10, 20:56
Now that's comedy.
disgusting comedy but comedy nonetheless :laugh:

hm... :puke: does not seek to work...

FatMan
2004-10-11, 00:22
Thanks for the post as it brings back wonderful memories of days past.

30 years ago I spent three weeks that summer canoeing in Algonquin PP. What a magnificient place it was. I am sorry to hear that the sense of "wilderness" no longer exists. 30 years ago it was "100% pure wilderness". In the three weeks the only human contact we had outside of our party was at our re-supply at Brent(?). It was a time where you drank directly from the lakes and rivers. Wildlife was everywhere...Bear, Moose, Wolves, etc, and Birds too many to count. The wildlife seemed quite unfamilliar with man and often appeared more curious with us than we were with them. They never strayed close to us but often watched us unfazed from a distance. Fresh water clams were often found in large quantity and provided pre-meal appetizers and mid day snacks. And the fishing was out of this world. It was this journey that honed this teenager's love of the outdoors. During this wilderness adventure I knew I was participating in a special life changing event. As I look back on the past 30 years I do not believe I have found a place that has provided me with the same Awe that I hold in my memory of Algonquin.

I will return someday in hopes of sharpening many of the memories that time has dulled over the years.

bird dog
2004-10-11, 23:40
The clams certainly sound more appetizing than the droppings!

hotelseven
2004-10-11, 23:46
Fatman,

That was a great summation of the way Algonquin has affected many people, including myself. I went on my first winter camp trip there when I was merely 8 months old (with my dad). I've been going several times a year since then, many of which are still with my dad. I think a place like that instills a respect for nature that not many places can....