PDA

View Full Version : How to pack it

Shredder
2004-10-11, 13:48
OK you have a hammock, under quilt and tarp. And you have conendsation or it's wet in general. How do you pack up for the day? Seperate the wet stuff? wipe it off and let it dry when you reset it up? How to get a wet tarp off with out getting the under quilt wet too? Should you repack without skins?
I only have had my hammock several weeks, and now have an under quilt. So far so good, I'm warm to about 40 degrees with the under quilt and light down top quilt. But I'm learly of packing it up damp and gettting the under quilt wet. Ussually waiting long enough for everything to dry out is not a good option, especialy if your on some type of a schedule. So what do you Hammock Hangers do?..............Shredder......... :adore:

Lanthar
2004-10-11, 21:53
are you getting condensation on the underquilt itself?

Shredder
2004-10-12, 17:06
Not really mostly on the tarp. It's been cold and humid here in N. MI. and there has been condeneds breath on the tarp. A little has dripped onto the underquilt, probably by me moving the hammock around getting in or out.

SGT Rock
2004-10-12, 18:06
I stuff my under quilt in the same over sized stuff sack I put my top quilt. The hammock sans tarp goes inside the snake skins and is packed in my Gearskin outside my liner. My tarp gets packed in a mesh pocket so I can set it up in seconds for a dry lunch spot and to keep it from getting the rest of the hammock wet inside the snake skins.

peter_pan
2004-10-15, 18:53
If the underside of the tarp is wet I do it just like Rock.

If the Underside is dry and only the top is wet, I put it all in the Python skins. But be careful. First to minimize the wet side transference you should have a symetric tarp. Then you can shake off most moisture, align the edges, roll up so wet covers wet. Roll to about the middle, slide Python skin over. Carefully align edge of other half, roll wet on wet, Slide down python. When both pythons are about 10 inches apart there is normally a bubble ( like a pig in a python) slowly squeeze out the air and cover one python over the other. Take down from trees, fold to width of pack, wrap the ends about all and put in pack. Everthing else that matters in my pack is in waterproof bags so no issue with the wet pythons. ******* If your tarp is an asym fly, I recommend doing it Sgt Rock's way

j.johnson
2004-10-31, 23:53
I am about to get a Hennessy Hamock for the 1st time and I'm not sure what you are talking about when you mention snake skins and exactly what they are used for. Could you sent my a detailed photo of it and a brief description of how to use them.
Thanks
The Grill Sgt.

peter_pan
2004-11-01, 10:32
J.johnson,

Snake skins or Python skins are tubes that enable you to set up and restow a hammock camp near instantly. There are several pictures of Python skins in action at www.jacksrbetter.com . welcome.

youngblood
2004-11-04, 11:32
Sorry I jumped in this thread late and may have missed something obvious. It occurs to me that how you handle a tarp wet from condensation might be different depending on whether the tarp attaches to the hammock support lines and if it is raining when you pack up. I wouldn't think it would be an issue for tarps that didn't attach to the hammock support lines and were stowed seperate from the hammock.

I am assuming that since Shredder brought it up as an issue that he is using a hammock with a tarp that he attaches to the hamock support lines and that he packs the tarp with the hammock in one stuffsack or with 'skins... is that a correct assumption? If it is, the solutions that are offered that involve a larger tarp that is not attached to the hammock support lines may not be the kind of solutions that Shredder is looking for.

Youngblood

Shredder
2004-11-05, 09:55
Thanks for the come back Youngblood, As of now I have a hennesy explorer deluxe with the tarp it comes with, the 8x8 tarp from jacksrbetter, and a homemade 10x10 tarp. The few times I've used my hammock I've attached the tarp to the hammock rope. ( have not used the ten x ten with the hammock yet) I can see this as a problem in rainy conditions. I have not stuffed a wet tarp into the skins yet, but I would imagine it would make everything in the skins wet. I'm thinking that maybe I should tie on some light line to whatever tarp I use and tie that to the tree whenever I think rain may be a problem, or on long hikes where you just don't know. Is this what most of you do? Shredder

Sorry I jumped in this thread late and may have missed something obvious. It occurs to me that how you handle a tarp wet from condensation might be different depending on whether the tarp attaches to the hammock support lines and if it is raining when you pack up. I wouldn't think it would be an issue for tarps that didn't attach to the hammock support lines and were stowed seperate from the hammock.

I am assuming that since Shredder brought it up as an issue that he is using a hammock with a tarp that he attaches to the hamock support lines and that he packs the tarp with the hammock in one stuffsack or with 'skins... is that a correct assumption? If it is, the solutions that are offered that involve a larger tarp that is not attached to the hammock support lines may not be the kind of solutions that Shredder is looking for.

Youngblood

youngblood
2004-11-05, 16:43
Sarge posted some tips on how he was doing it at one time when he was using the standard tarp attached to the hammock support lines. This link should take you to the part about taking down in the rain: http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock2.html#Tip%207 . It sounds pretty much as you figured, you need some extra line so you can leave the tarp up last and then stow it seperately, since it is wet.