PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail

Whitestag
2003-01-15, 09:23
Since the Long Trail in Vermont is one of the oldest long distance hiking trails, how about setting up a list for it?

-- Whitestag

SGT Rock
2003-01-15, 10:02
I didn't know if I should make this a sepperate trail or under Vermont. Any thoughts? For now it has it's own entry.

DebW
2003-03-27, 14:58
If anybody on this board has hiked the Long Trail, I'd like to hear your resupply advice. The GMC puts out an end-to-enders guide which provides resupply advice, updated annually. I'm going to wait a few months to order to be sure and get this year version. Also, a new edition of the Long Trail Guide is coming out. I plan to hike the Long Trail this September.

Whitestag
2003-03-27, 15:30
I hiked about 70 miles of the Long Trail last summer, starting at Danby and finishing at Route 2 in northern Massachusetts. Over that 70 mile stretch there were two towns that were frequently used for resupply: Bennington and Manchester, and it is my understanding from having talked to both LT and AT thru-hikers that almost every paved road crossing leads to good resupply points.

I do not know what the traffic on the trail will be like in September, but in July I met over a dozen people every day, either at shelters or along the trail. Talk to the folks whom you meet -- they will prove to be your best source of information, far superior to the guide books.

-- Whitestag

Peaks
2003-03-27, 17:15
It takes about 3 weeks typically to hike the Long Trail. For resupply south of Sherburn Gap, follow advice given in the AT Companion. Assuming that the first 100 miles is your first week, that takes care of the first week.

Beyond that, the easiest resupply point would be the Post Office at Jonesville. The former General Store is long gone there. Jonesville is roughly the mid point between Canada and Sherburn Gap. About 90 miles between resupply points assuming that you resupply at Sherburn Gap.

Of course, there are numerous road crossings that take you into villages and towns along the way. Like the AT, it all depends on how far off the trail you want to go to resupply.

jumpngeorge
2003-03-27, 23:48
I hiked from Manchester to Jonesville last summer. Manchester has a good outfitters (EMS?)...Rutland has just about everything you could want. I think there is a bus that runs from Killington to Rutland that you can pick up on Route 4. Both of these places are easy to get to from the trail. North of Rutland, I crossed a road every couple of days usually in the middle of nowhere...Jonesville is not much.

I loved the Long Trail. It is rough...The Long Trail Guide should be taken with a grain of salt. The time estimates are totally bogus. I remember walking south of Camel's Hump. The Long Trail Guide said it was 3 hours to the next shelter. After 3 hours on the trail, I met a woman coming the other way. She asked me how far it was to the shelter...I told her I left it 3 hours before...We had a good cry together, because she had let the shelter I was shooting for 3 hours ago too... Sometimes I admit I wondered at times about why the trail had to make it to the top of every mountain in Vermont

Peaks
2003-03-28, 17:50
The section of the Long Trail from about Middlebury Gap to the north side of Mt. Mansfield is often referred to as the Long and Hard Trail.

I believe that the times in the Long Trail Guide are based on the standard formula of 2 miles per hour plus 1/2 hour for each 1000 feet of climb. Your actual progress may (and does) vary. But, it does give a consistent estimate of times.

deadeye
2004-07-23, 22:44
If anybody on this board has hiked the Long Trail, I'd like to hear your resupply advice. The GMC puts out an end-to-enders guide which provides resupply advice, updated annually. I'm going to wait a few months to order to be sure and get this year version. Also, a new edition of the Long Trail Guide is coming out. I plan to hike the Long Trail this September.

Manchester and Wallingford are excellent resupply points, close to trail, esp. for the Post offices. If you can send a mail drop to the Long Trail Inn at Sherburne Pass, you can get to Jonesville from there. Resupply points and PO's are further from the trail between Sherburn Pass and Jonesville. After Jonesville, one resupply at Johnson should cover it.