PDA

View Full Version : HH Rainfly Size

cubix
2004-11-25, 20:53
I have been reading alot that the Rainfly is too small for when it rains. I just want to be able to cook under the rainfly without getting wet, and I want to stay dry inside the HH when it rains. Is the rainfly that comes with the HH expedition Asym large enough to do that? Or Do I need to try to see If I can get the Hex, but it seems from the HH website that the Hex is very big.

-Cubix

brian
2004-11-25, 21:06
Cubix,

There are several aftermarket products available, including my MacCat tarp. I designed it specificly to give good coverage for the hammock as well as a little bit of space underneath to be able to cook. Depending on whether you want a generous amount of room(MacCat Standard) or a ton of room (MacCat Deluxe) under the hammock is up to you. If you are interested, please visit my website at www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com Thanks again!

Brian

cubix
2004-11-26, 14:31
What would the diffence between that tarp and a tarp I buy off campmor that would be square? Also I read somewhere that they made the fly 30% bigger is that one that everyone still think is too small

youngblood
2004-11-27, 12:26
What would the diffence between that tarp and a tarp I buy off campmor that would be square? Also I read somewhere that they made the fly 30% bigger is that one that everyone still think is too small

Campmor's ultralight silnylon tarps use grommets instead of sewn on tie-outs. Most folks trust the sewn on tie-outs more than they do the grommets for silnylon tarps. I myself like a larger rectangular tarp and am willing to carry the extra weight to get more wind/rain protection. I once used an 8'x10' Campmor tarp but didn't trust the grommets for the loading on the ridgeline and would just attach the tarp to a closeline type ridgeline. I have since made my own tarps that are a little different and use sewn on tie-outs. Brian and JacksrUs both offer lighter weight tarps that are somewhat hammock specific. They are somewhere in between the stock HH tarps and say a larger rectangular tarp, both in coverage and weight. Some folks are okay with the stock HH tarps and some aren't quite satisfied with them and replace them. Of course, there are some folks who are always looking for new toys... I mean gear, and just need an excuse to get them.

Youngblood

brian
2004-11-27, 13:24
Brian and JacksrUs both offer lighter weight tarps that are somewhat hammock specific.
Youngblood

Youngblood,

Just for a little clarification, my MacCat tarps are pretty much 100% hammock specific. I designed them for the hammock, not for solo tarp use. Their key weakness is lack of coverage if needed to be setup on the ground. But that is not a problem 99.9% of the time on the AT.

rpettit
2004-12-02, 21:03
How did you attatch the tarp to the clothesline ridgeline?

brian
2004-12-02, 21:06
There are D rings on each of the tieouts, so the tarp can attach in the same manner than the HH tarp. Or, you can tie the tarp independent of the hammock with seperate line.

Brian

youngblood
2004-12-03, 08:22
There are D rings on each of the tieouts, so the tarp can attach in the same manner than the HH tarp. Or, you can tie the tarp independent of the hammock with seperate line.

Brian

Brian,

I am curious and realize this may be a 'loaded question' because it is inherent in the Hennessy approach of attaching a tarp between a fixed object (the ground) and a moveable object (hammock support rope), but are you able to attach your tarp's ridgeline to the hammock support ropes and consistantly/safely maintain tautness after you get into the hammock? ... and what is your recommendation as to whether to use independent tieouts for the tarps ridgeline versus using the attachments on the hammock support ropes?

Youngblood

brian
2004-12-03, 15:32
For my setup, I recommend this: Attach one end of the tarp to the hammock slider, and tie the other end of the tarp to the opposite tree\post. This way, you still have the adjustability in fixing any sag, however, it is very much decreased by not putting all of the needed force requirement on the hammock. I will sag quite a bit (sometimes) if it is attached soley to the hammock, but as will any tarp. This should answer both questions. If not, please do specify.

Brian
OutdoorEquipmentSupplier