PDA

View Full Version : Mesh Backpack

robanna
2004-12-15, 15:23
Hey Sgt Rock,
i know you've tried to make your own mesh back and you weren't happy with the results.
I was wondering why you gave up on the idea? And also if you've come across this Mesh Pack (http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=BLRMBP&ItemIndex=26&CategoryID=1051&Sort=Price&Filter=) made for SCUBA gear?

I don't know the weight but at $20 it might be worth checking out.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=BLRMBP&ItemIndex=26&CategoryID=1051&Sort=Price&Filter=

Hog On Ice
2004-12-15, 17:05
on a similar note I was wondering how a mesh Gearskin would work out as for weight savings.

SGT Rock
2004-12-15, 17:43
Well I probably wouldn't carry more than 20-25 pounds in mine, but that is because the suspension system on mine ain't that great. A mesh Gearskin sort of thing would have to be made where the mesh wouldn't have too much stretch or give since it compresses the load, but I think it could be done.

Lanthar
2004-12-15, 22:36
on a similar note I was wondering how a mesh Gearskin would work out as for weight savings.

Depends on the Sil-Nylon that they use... the SN probably weighs less than 2.0oz / sqyd (unless I have my terminology wrong, 1.4oz Sil-Nylon uses 1.4oz Ripstop and then coats it, adding 0.4-0.5 oz/sqyd), and since they don't use even a square yard of material, you might save an ounce... however, it could make it useful for drying our things... just wrap them on the out side of your packliner or main stuff sack and inside the mesh, they'd be secure and could dry through evporation...

Streamweaver
2004-12-16, 11:10
Well I probably wouldn't carry more than 20-25 pounds in mine, but that is because the suspension system on mine ain't that great. A mesh Gearskin sort of thing would have to be made where the mesh wouldn't have too much stretch or give since it compresses the load, but I think it could be done.

I would think having a pack with a mesh back panel would be kinda rough on your clothes,especially on an expensive rain jacket etc. Streamweaver

SGT Rock
2004-12-16, 19:25
If you wear a Packa that wouldn't be an issue for the jacket, but yes, I could see how mesh would be a problem there. My mesh pack has a cloth pannel against the back.